The last thing anyone wants to hear is that their home has been infested with mold. Not only is it costly and difficult to remove,
but the mold is dangerous and can be hazardous to your health. It is extremely important to remember that when dealing with mold, it is best to leave the remediation to a qualified, trained professional to not only remove it completely but prevent it from happening again. Should you ever suspect a mold problem, here are 3 tips on what you can do:
For many people, the thought of having mold in their home is terrifying. However, it can help ease the panic if you know what mold is and why it has started growing in your home.
Mold is not a plant or an animal, it is a type of fungus and a part of life. Not all molds are harmful, but the ones that grow in your home typically can be. Common symptoms are allergy-like (stuffy nose, congestion, coughing, difficulty breathing, etc.) but will not go away with an allergy pill. Mold grows in moist, warm places and can grow extremely fast. If you are concerned and think this could be happening in your home, make sure to check out areas where humidity and moisture levels are high. This includes bathrooms, kitchens, basements, and in walls where water from leaky pipes can accumulate.
It is important to learn how to recognize if you have developed a mold problem so that you can begin the process of remediation. In this case, your nose will be the best tool. You will not always be able to see mold, but you can almost always smell it. Have you ever walked into a room with a musty odor? Chances are you smell mold. Keep in mind, sometimes the reason you will not be able to see the mold because it may be hidden on the back of the wallpaper, tile, drywall or even underneath the carpet. If you detect mold on the surface or on some of your items, common hints are that these items will be discolored or looked smudged and blotched. When hiring a professional to do the cleanup, make certain you are dealing with someone who is trained in this area, like Sincerely Yours. A professional has the proper tools and training to properly remediate the mold in its entirety, preventing it from coming back.
Moisture control is the key to controlling mold. Take time to check for water damage in your home, especially in your basement. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) also recommends keeping the humidity level in your house below 50 percent. Use an air conditioner during humid months. Make sure to check the ventilation in the kitchen and the bathroom. Open a window or turn on a fan when showering, do not carpet bathrooms and consider using mold inhibitors that can be added to paints. If you see moisture building up, act quickly and dry the area. If you have any water leaks, whether it is coming in through the roof, or from a pipe or the ground, patch it up immediately.