Did you know?
On average, water damages caused by faulty washing machine hoses costs $6,000.
Did you know ?a burst water supply line caused half of all water damage incidents involving washing machines. On average, these incidents caused more than $6,000 in damage.
Steps that homeowners can take to prevent water damages caused by washing machines include:
- ?Turn supply valves off when not in use.
- Consider installing a lever-type valve that is easy to operate between uses.
- Do not operate the washing machine while the home is unoccupied.
- Leave a 3- to 4-inch gap between the back of the washing machine and the wall to avoid kinking the hose near the valve connection.
- Inspect the water supply line hoses every six months.
- Ensure that the connection to the valve is secure, but avoid over-tightening. Hand tighten first. Then tighten an additional 2/3 of a turn using pliers.
- Check the hoses for cracks, kinks or blisters, which are most commonly found near the hose connection.
- Washing machine manufacturers recommend replacing washing machine hoses every five years.
- Consider reinforced braided stainless steel hoses.